Sunday, October 6, 2013

Last Weekend - Cali Short (Smith River and the Burnt Ranch Gorge)

While our amazing politicians were arguing about how to properly fund the Government, I went roadtripping.





I met Lesley in Idaho while the Seattle crew was on it's annual North Fork Payette pilgrimage. Her need to drive through Oregon and on to Northern California for some school work perfectly coincided with my furlough from work.





We talked the drive through (the night before) deciding that the Smith was our final goal and that on the way we would be able to get laps on Opal Creek in Oregon and Burnt Ranch Gorge in California. I had never boated these runs so I was stoked to put a few more notches in the belt.




Lesley in the bottom left of Number 2 on Burnt Ranch Gorge.




Lesley and I parted ways in Placerville and I was able to hang out with the family for a 4 day weekend that included lots of wine, great food and some amazing dialogue. I've got some great people in my life.


We found this guy a little worse for wear at one of the vineyards we stopped at.




Any woman can give birth to a mere child, this woman gave birth to a legend. A job well done mom.




I was even able to hitch a ride into Coloma with my little sister, fresh of the plane from her year in Europe, and got to see the old man himself.




Time moves a little more slowly in Coloma when you're watching the framing tree.



Short and sweet; get furloughed on a Tuesday, boat Jefferson Creek on Wednesday. Drive to and Boat Opal Creek on Thursday. Drive to and boat the Smith River and some tributary on Friday. Rally the Burnt Ranch Gorge on Saturday. Crawl into a wine bottle until Tuesday evening and then back at work on Wednesday morning at 0720 am. A great little trip was had!
Stay Stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment